Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i've had a look around and i can see a lot of different suggestions, and tried a few with no luck

My XL700 2001, was bogging really bad, and very hard to use

so i order a carb kit online with new Needle and seats etc.

everything was pretty straight forward. kitted both carbs and refitted everything
and she hasn't ran since

will only run, if i pour fuel into carbs, will start no probs if fed fuel into Carbs

I've checked fuel lines and i have fuel coming in, and if i blow through inlet fuel line, it comes out the outlet.
also checked outlet line, not blocked

replaced filter just in case

removed carb and re-checked all gaskets etc. and i cannot find anything out of place

anything that i should be looking for specifically ?

i did notice when i replaced the needle and seat, they were a little different in the body, but still fit
and also the new diaphragm little knob in the centre were a lot shorter than mine, the ones that came out were raised a lot more

maybe the needle and seat are not lifting?

i'm about to pull carbs off again, to have another look

any advice would be really appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It can’t be getting fuel then.
i'm about to remove all the supply and return lines and the pickup, and breather and make sure there's no blockage
Before i removed carbs, on its last trip, it was starving for fuel and bogging really bad, so maybe a fuel blockage somewhere

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah I was about to say check the vent off the tank. I had one clog and when I pulled the cap it started sucking air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was about to say check the vent off the tank. I had one clog and when I pulled the cap it started sucking air.
i just pulled all the fuel lines and breather lines off, with the breather hose removed from the inside of the hull, i can blow in, but not suck, so that seems ok,
i have check the pick-up and the tap to the inlet hose to the carb, which seems fine
i have notices though, with the inlet and the return hose plugged into carbs, but not plugged into filter or tank
I Cant blow into the inlet of the carb, but if i suck, i get a mouth full of fuel??
that seems weird, would that suggest, i may have the pump plate the wrong way around of something
I cant blow through the carbs at all from the inlet side?

·
Registered
36 Posts
By pump plate do you mean diaphragm?
I’d pull the carbs, clean and reassemble with the exploded view handy if I questioned how it’s put together. Synchronize the choke and throttle plates, set the adjustment screws to what they should be and go from there. The adjustments are different for each carb and not the same. Maybe there was something you missed in the carb. Checking compression and spark is always a good thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What was the result.. mine has the same problem and I would like to know b4 I take it to the workshop. I have pulled the carbs a set the jets few times according to spec but this time it idols rough may stall, it won't rev up it will sputter and die or backfire. The 2stroke line backflows somehow there is a leak. Changed hose to new clear ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What was the result.. mine has the same problem and I would like to know b4 I take it to the workshop. I have pulled the carbs a set the jets few times according to spec but this time it idols rough may stall, it won't rev up it will sputter and die or backfire. The 2stroke line backflows somehow there is a leak. Changed hose to new clear ones.
what are you calling the 2stroke line?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i removed all lines including pulse line, breather hoses, removes and checked pickups, and everything fine.
so i removed carbs again, and stripped and checked gaskets and seals against exploded view, all correct.

i did notice that the little tiny clear plastic flappers on the inside of the float plate, were both discoloured brown and seemed stuck on the plate. I removed and freed up.

put it all back together, and it started and ran

However, I tried to start later that day, and again it just turns over and over and wont start

so frustrating
I suspect, the cheap carby kit seals and gaskets i got from ebay are the problem
But really, i'm only guessing, i'm about to order a genuine kit and redo the seals

if that doesn't work... she's going on marketplace :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
well, i removed all lines including pulse line, breather hoses, removes and checked pickups, and everything fine.
so i removed carbs again, and stripped and checked gaskets and seals against exploded view, all correct.

i did notice that the little tiny clear plastic flappers on the inside of the float plate, were both discoloured brown and seemed stuck on the plate. I removed and freed up.

put it all back together, and it started and ran

However, I tried to start later that day, and again it just turns over and over and wont start

so frustrating
I suspect, the cheap carby kit seals and gaskets i got from ebay are the problem
But really, i'm only guessing, i'm about to order a genuine kit and redo the seals

if that doesn't work... she's going on marketplace :)
Yes mine started ok it had a running away but I think I was a broken throttle cable jamming up and keeping the throttle open. So I took it as an air leak and redid all the gasket and seals which it needed anyway. The I also brought ebay cheap I found the gasket, seals n diaphragms are slightly small and so I had to reuse old ones, I so found the carb#1 tried it without diaphragm as I also took a photo but it won't pull fuel from the tank or it just drains the lines if fuel line is in loaded, with the diaphragm in it idles but won't run or rev sounds its either starving or flooding.
I think I will also bite the bullet and either get it repaired by a Yam repairer or sell it as parts.
P.s I also couldn't find an exploded picture of carb #1 only carb #2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts