Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
XL700 yamaha 2000
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an 00 XL700Y yammy, it's old and been through the ringer, and now it's at the age of repair or wreck. The question is. Which diagram do I follow to regasket the dual carbs.? One is milkuni the other is yamaha. I followed the carb layout as it was then I followed the instructions of the diagrams now im lost. The engine idols ok but floods out or starves when throttle is sqeezed also there is a banging noise at idol. Could be pinging? I have spark last Season plugs ohm 4.2 n water flow and compression cant test properly timing is set to centre crank mag tdc, Pop off is at 50 -55psi gold springs as originally fitted. Fuel Filter is a Mini inline been using for years with these maybe the direction is wrong way??no arrows on these! . Cranks fine No noise or rattles without plugs.! Blocked waterbox? Exhaust and tap water flows. Im thinking spark and fuel, compression, engine has all new gaskets and seals was leaking oil and had run away idol. So I have missed something clearly.
Thoughts welcome.
Font Material property Number Parallel Pattern

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram Triangle

Font Parallel Monochrome Pattern Document

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’d use the mikuni exploded view. Keep it simple. Pull carbs back apart..clean and reassemble them again…go from there..check carb gaskets, a run away sounds like an air leak

·
Registered
XL700 yamaha 2000
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d use the mikuni exploded view. Keep it simple. Pull carbs back apart..clean and reassemble them again…go from there..check carb gaskets, a run away sounds like an air leak
Ok cool thankyou. Done
How do you feel about tuning methods? I have everything stock setting I have it idling and the knocking has stopped, but it stumbles or stalls when giving revs maybe a backfire.
5/8 Lows and high mag PTO h 1 1/8.
I think this was more like around 1 5/8.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you doing this with it on a water hose? Have you pulled the spark plugs after it runs a bit to see what they look like?

·
Registered
36 Posts
At a glance I’d think it’s starving for fuel or maybe only sparking on 1 cylinder. Check spark on both. Try turning your lows out to 1 turn and see what happens. If it’s got a choke or primer try using it when it stumbles and that might help let you know if it’s fuel related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Sorry I have been away for the week.
I have spark on the plugs both sides and I think it was 4.6ohm each plug. It's on the hose. I tried opening the H&L,s a full turn each nothing changed. So maybe there is a small block that hasn't come out in the venturies, If that's the right term.? I'm not idling at 3000rpm atm on hose.!
I will do the choke test and maybe turn out the high and lows one at a time? According to series?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry I wrote that wrong.. I meant idle isn't set at 3000 rpm out of water its much lower im trying to raise it up slowly. .I tried closing the high's and it wouldn't run so i set high on carb #2 back to stock and it idols. If I pull the fuel return line off carb#1 tank pressure will blow out?
Carb Gaskets are about 2 years old, engine gasket and seals about a month old. Fuel Hoses well over 8 years old, electricals all over 8 yrs old. I have had the ski for around 8 years.
Reeds are in good condition still look new in closed position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Camera accessory Film camera Gas Cameras & optics Auto part

Ok I think this is part of the problem. This is the throttle mag side #1 carb. Return line. Is there suppose to be a gasket or diaphragm here? I currently have a black one inserted. I think it should be bare as seen in photo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts