Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an xl760 that I had put a primer kit in, ran great for the past year. Last weekend, gave it a test start in the yard, ran fine. Fuelled it up and got on the water and it would bog down and stall whenever I gave it throttle. Would start fine when primed though and idle around ok for a minute, but then would stall. Was working on it today and it would run fine at idle, but still bogs with throttle...sometimes. Other times it runs fine and a few times it literally pegged the rpms and kept running even though I hit the stop button and pulled the lanyard off. The only way I could get it to stop from literally redlining was to hit the throttle and then it would bog and quit. during this, the throttle was closed, as I had the aircleaner off and was manipulating the the throttle by hand at the carb, could see the throttle plates and they were closed as well. Other times it would run fine and I could blip the throttle and it would work fine, except it would eventually die out on it's own. I think the scariest part was the fact that it would redline and wouldn't stop when I pressed the stop button and pulled off the lanyard.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, it's f-ing hot here and I need to ride!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, figured it out. It turns out there must have been a clog in the fuel selector knob. Had tried to switch it to off or reserve while on the water, but it wouldn't budge salt water issues, I suppose. Put a pair of pliers to it today and moved it through its full range. Ran fine afterwards, could even see the fuel trickling into carb throat, which it wasn't doing before.
Now I'm wondering if the clogging particles will cause issues at the carbs. Will see, I guess!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts