Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to purchase a 2001 xl800 with 105hrs on it. The owner had it dewinterized a few weeks ago, took it out and it ran for about a half mile before something happened and it started running only at low revs. The local marine people done a compression test on it, one of the cylinders is running 120 and the other 70, they recommended new top end rebuild.

I am a newbie when it comes to engine rebuilds, but after much research, I understand that 2stroke engines are a lot easier to learn on than 4stroke.

I just wanted to know if this is the type of thing that may be to much to start with, or whether it would be easy enough (if there is such a thing).

Any information or tips would be great, so that I can justify this to my wife if I decide to go ahead with it, for anyone who is married will know, you need as much info as possible to sway them in your favor. ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am pretty mechanical but had never done a top end before, and I got my 96 760 done no problem. Had the cylinders ground by my local shop for $90 and bought the top end kit for $175 on ebay. You will need ordinary tools and a torque wrench. One cylinder was down to 30 psi and seriously scored the walls of the chamber but it was salvageable. Not suggesting this, but if you get in there and can get away with replacing just the rings that could be an option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might just give it a try then. I am kinda hoping that the walls are not scored and it may be a slightly easier fix than I had anticipated. I might go look at the ski today, I'll let you guys know how I get on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts