Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 Yamaha Waverunner XLT1200. Took it out this season and it ran fine for a good hour or so. Then while making a turn, the engine bogged down and would only move at slow speeds between 10-15 mph. When I give it throttle the rpms do not go above 4, and the engine sounds as if its going to stall, but never does. We first thought it was a clogged fuel filter. So we replaced it and it worked for a day. Then the bogging down started happening again. I took the waverunner into Yamaha. They checked everything, but weren't sure what it was. There only guess was the carbs, and that it would be an expensive job.
Has anyone had this problem?
Also I believe its a fuel issue. I've noticed that when I release the gas cap, there is a large amount of pressure and the vapors being released actually whistle. Is that normal?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Dirty carbs. most likely. I think the system pressurizes the fuel system, so if you are not pushing the gas through the carbs, you may be venting it elsewhere.

Clean/rebuild the carbs. as a 1st step. You can do it yourself and save some $$$, but it is a PITA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a XL-1200 1998 model, Riding a few days ago without any issues, at mid speed it bogged down an died, like it ran out of gas. Hit the starter and it came back to full life for about a minute then bogged and died. repeated all the way back to the landing. No heat alarms or buzzer. Fuel filter looks fine. This is the first problem I've had with any Yahama, owned 3. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem??

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
See above...............dirty carbs. is most likely. Bad fuel is another possibility (water sinks to the bottom of the tank). Problem with fuel system vent is another possibility. There are other more serious possibilities, but I'd suspect the carbs. first. When is the last time they were cleaned/rebuilt?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the carbs off to install a manual primer two years ago, all three were cleaned and re-installed, the machine runs great and comes up to full speed, runs a short period of time then boggs and dies. It will start right back up with no problem run about a minute them bogg again, dosen't miss or sputter like a water issue. I'm going to the fuel lines and vents, may have a problem with them. If I don't see anything there then off come the carbs. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2005 xlt1200 hard to start and bogs down

Im having a simular problem with mine. After it sits a hour even, it has to be choked in order to start, and even then you have to leave the choke up , for about 10 secs , in order to start out without it dying on ya. Have tried seafoam, and other fuel additives recommended by the shop, without any improvement. Now a new issues has came about, after abotu 10 mins, it shuts down and the exhaust is hot..cleaned out the intake and its getting good water circulation within the outlets.. comin out good in all 3 areas. Any ideas what could be going on? Maybe its running to lean? would it hurt in addeda lil oil into the gas tank, to supplement the oil in the oil tank? I can use any ideas here ..

ps also i put the primer kit on mine as well, think may be sucking in air from one of the fuel hoses?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Could have a restriction in the fuel line (dirty filter, kink, old line, etc.). Carbs dirty, or in need of adjustment is very common problem. If its getting hot, you may be running lean, which may indicate an air leak around the intake manifold or elsewhere..........much harder to diagnosis and fix.

I'd look at the easy stuff first, fuel lines, filters, etc.. Then clean and adjust the carbs. Look for loose bolts, or signs of leaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mark, I added 8 oz of marvel mystery and 8oz of 2 cycle oil to mine and it is running well, I don't believe you'll hurt it by adding some oil for a trial. You might want to check the carb diaphrams as well also pull the plugs and check for any signs of a burnt cylinder, aluminum color on plug. You should also check the compression. Look for signs of oil in the bottom of the ski, might have a loose or broken oil line. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Engine Shutdown Problem

I have a 2000 Yamaha XLT 1200 and I have had it out this year 2 twice and last year I had left gas in the tank and forgot to put stabil in the gas. So I ran have ran out the old gas and put 93 octane in the waverunner. After that it has ran fine. However, yesterday I was stranded on the lake after riding for a hour. The engine just cut off. I restarted and got it back to about 26MPH and it cut off. I did that two more times and then it would not turn over. I replaced the battery this year. Did not get any warning lights it just shut off. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, replaced the plugs, it runs better and sounds better now but......it still shuts off after a few mins of higher rpms. Put some seafoam in, to try and clean out any junk in the lines. The old plugs were a lil bad, pulled the temp sensor earlier, and it had a high amount of carbon buildup.. so im suspecting maybe the converter could be clogged? It runs really good before the shutoff so im thinkin the carberator is clear ? Any good suggestions here? Havnt tried the marvel oil yet.... With all the seafoam in the tank, would it be a good idea to just idle it for a long while to try and burn some out ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your oil line connections at the carbs and oil pump. I had the same problem. One cylinder would heat up and bog the engine down, it would cool off, quickly, and the engine would run fine for a short period, then bog down and die. Look for oil in the bottom of your boat, sure sign a line is off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, i had some oil in the bottom of the jetski, figured it may have been some i had spilled so i soaked it up and it came back.. so now on for the search for the loose hose or something. Also its a mixture of fuel/oil.. primarily oil. ... i've looked at the hoses goin to carbs 1 and 2 , but 3 is back under the exhaust.. so im guessing its either there or on the oil pump... neither of which i have good access too.. any other suggestions before i take it to the shop

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having similar problems to the above posts. The bogging down issue. Very frustrating. Did the D clip replacement (the catalytic converter was destroyed), changed the fuel filter, rebuilt the carbs. Ran for a bit. Now it appears as though I am not getting any fuel through the carbs. Fuel pump? It will start if I put some gas directly in the cylinder heads. Any suggestions are appreciated. Sounds like there are many things that can go wrong with this toy! Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '99 XL1200 is new to me but dies under throttle after 20 seconds. Then I have to let it sit for about a minute or it wont start at all. I have a D plate in lieu of cat/con. Ran great when owner let me ride it 2 years ago, then it sat until yesterday. He used stabil and I added 10 gals of fresh premium fuel. It looks like Im going to be pulling my carbs off and cleaning/adjusting. not looking forward to it, but I just had it apart putting a starter bendix on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have they exact same problems. Shop is pulling carbs. 1400 dollars btw. ouch. will update. Have been told that while stabil is good when used as directed to much turns the rubber in your carbs hard as a rock so more is not better. FYI

·
Super Moderator
5,059 Posts
1400 to pull and rebuild the carbs !?? Your getting ripped off big time !! Avg rebuild cost is anout 100 bucks per carb plus r&r. No where near 1100 bucks of labor costs.
Excuse the language, but i'm calling bullshit on stabil making rubber hard. It's a normal process that happens to rubber, fuel just speeds it up. Crank seals get hard and leak, driveshaft seals get hard and leak, power steering pump seals get hard and leakn ect. None of those are submerged in fuel stabil. Accelerator pumps on automotive carbs like edelbrock or q-jet get hard and no longer seal and or work efficiently requiring replacement.
These folk are blowing large amounts of smoke up your ass.
Sorry aboit the attitude, but ao tired of seeing people getting ripped off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts