Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to jet skis, and need your expert advice.

I've rebuilt a 2003 XLT 1200 (a new owner, bought it with a seized engine). It starts and runs just fine, or looks to me fine, don't know tbh as I've never had one before.

The problem though - while in the water, I can only start it once. If I stop it, it won't start again - will keep cranking but no fire. To start it again I have to wait. I've ridden it 4 times so far for an hour each time, with no stopping the engine, then I take it to the garage and when I'm back - it starts fine again. Any ideas what that could be? Anyone ever had anything like that?

When in the water, the first time it starts right away within a sec or two, so don't see any problems there. If I try starting/restarting on the shore - looks like I can restart it multiple times, but not in the water.

Any help greatly appreciated.

As far as rebuilding - I've replaced the engine and rebuilt the carburetor and got new battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - after riding it more:
  • it start just fine when cold and runs idle fine
  • when it's hot after riding for a bit, it tends to shut down when running idle, so I have to keep my hand on the throttle to not let it stop
  • if it shuts down, I can restart it immediately
  • if I wait for 20-30 seconds, then can't restart it
Again, any help greatly appreciated

1 - 2 of 2 Posts