Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha 1100 raider, 150 hours, owned since new. Never had any issues at all. Replaced plugs, flushed engine, drained gas every year. Last year it had a carb problem with one of the cylinders. Cylinder would cut in and out at high speed at full throttle. Problem went away after putting fresh gas in unit and changing plugs after 20 minutes of riding. Ski has run fine up until this year. I took it out for a cruise trip and after a couple of hours any speed in excess of 25mph it would just shut down and cut off like I turned off the key. Wait a little while, hit the starter and it would start back up and run till i exceeded 25mph then shut down. I suspected a fuel delivery problem and replaced fuel filter. It did have some flakes of junk in it but you could still blow through the filter. Took it out and now it will run at full speed for about 400 yards and just shut down completely. The display goes completely dead and starter will not crank engine, just clunks against the ring gear like the engine is locked. About 2-3 minutes goes by and engine will crank and start again but will run on only 2 of the 3 cylinders. Battery terminals were warm so I checked connection and re tightened, battery is 2 years old AGM unit. Pulled plugs and #1 has dry light carbon on insulator of plug. #2 and #3 are very clean with almost white insulator color and are a little wet. Those are the cylinders that are firing. Have spark on all three plugs when I cranked engine over with plugs out. No evidence of cylinder hydro loc due to water entering engine but plugs look like they are too clean for my taste. Put #1 plug in #3 position and it is firing. #1 cylinder has spark but cylinder is not firing. There is no difference in engine running with the Spark plug lead being on or off. I will be doing a compression test next and hoping for the best. If compression readings are in the 110-120 range I will proceed to clean the entire fuel system from tank to carbs, rebuild the fuel pump, and then proceed to carbs paying close attention to the pop off valves, anti siphon check valves and filter screens. Any suggestions on Yamaha 1100 triples with this condition would be helpful. I have rebuilt several Sea Doo engines and motorcycle engines but all makes and models have their little quirks and I am hoping that someone on this forum might have run across this type of problem before. I have owned this PWC since new and it has been babied all of it's life. If you know of any places or persons/shops to call or to send this e mail to directly it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before I tear off the head and look over the piston in #1 I will do a compression test to confirm if there is indeed cylinder damage. The only thing this engine ever did was run a little lean on 1 cylinder from time to time. This causes a piston to fail.? I thought that the oil injector setup put oil into the cylinder at all times. Bummer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea it is surpose to but alot of the time they fail and you don't know until its to late.That's way I always disconnect the oiler and premix my gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts