Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On July 26th i purchased a new Yamaha 2010 SHO FX Cruiser for my father who is 72 years old. I brought it to the dealer @ 10 hours and had the service done. @ 14.5 Hours on August 6th he was accelerating on flat water when the engine threw a rod through the crankcase, then through the pan. We towed it back VERY slowly to make sure no water entered the engine, and called the dealership (RIVA Yamaha South) to meet us at the ramp with a trailer. This was a Friday afternoon. By Monday morning they worked overtime to make sure the engine was disassembled and the computer downloaded so they could report it to Yamaha. Since they are the largest Yamaha dealer in the world, i thought it would be NO problem for them to get a new engine quickly. Yamaha decided they would NOT send RIVA the parts until they FULLY (Diagnosed) the failure, Yamaha decided they could not blame this one on us, and on the 9th concluded it was a Yamaha failure. It is now the 19th and the last part JUST did arrive! I am SO Absolutely upset at Yamaha customer service (or lack of).

I started calling Yamaha on the 16th because NOT ONE PART HAD ARRIVED YET! I told them i would be leaving for the summer on the 19th and how upset i was they did not send the parts yet. I was given an agent, Jocelyn at extension 7679, she treated me like a complete Imbecile and said they did not send the parts until they made sure nothing left in the ski would cause another failure!? I was like, mam, i am an engineer. The piston disintegrated, the head, case and oil pan are destroyed. There is nothing left to (HARM) the new parts because it will be an entire new engine. Her response was EXACTLEY the same, Sir, we needed to make sure that the failure would not happen again with the new parts. I have never talked to anyone in my life that was so Trained/rehearsed to say EXACTLY the same thing over and over, no matter how much it did not make since. At this point, i insisted on a new Ski, she says, sir your warranty states we repair not replace. I say well it has been 2 weeks and they do not even have the parts yet. Sir we are repairing it in a timely matter. I say, no i owned the ski for 1 week and it failed, it has been at the shop for 2 weeks, which is NOT timely. Sir your warranty states we repair not replace. Mam, this is a rare circumstance it was a major engine failure at 14.5 hours, it's not like i had a gauge fail, or a bad starter. I said this is a unique case. Sir, your warranty states we repair not replace, in a timely matter. I say it is not timely. Sir i am sorry "YOU" feel it is not timely. I say you know i bought a second FX SHO Cruiser on the 30th of July, i am replacing my Sea-Doos with Yamahas, and i own 10 skis. She says, are you a rental facility!? I am like WHAT!? I say no, i have 2 homes with 5 skis at each home and that the sea-doos were having super-charger problems so i was replacing them with Yamahas because the dealer says they are more reliable (Laugh). She says, so you are saying if we do not get you a new ski you will not buy another one? I say yes. She says, ok i will report this to my manager and get back to you....

I call back Tuesday, voicemail no return call.
I call back Wednesday, voicemail, no return call.
I call back today, i talk to her again, YAY!

Mam, they still do not have the ski fixed, what is the status on getting a new ski? Sir your warranty states we repair, we do not replace, and i called our parts department and they said all parts arrived yesterday at 5:00 PM. I said, mam i told you i was leaving today and that i would not be able to even test out the rebuilt machine, and i felt that you owed me a new ski under the circumstances. Sir, your warranty states we repair not replace. I say my policy says either you replace, or i will never by another Yamaha as long as i live, and i have 5 children that are experiencing the way you are treating me, and they will be sure to remember this, and also NEVER buy Yamaha. She says, your warranty states... I cut her off and say LOOK, i don't want to hear you tell me that sentence again; i want your boss, NOW! She says, i have already talked this over with my manager, and i cannot transfer you, we do not do that. I say so you and your manager are OK with me avoiding Yamaha in the future? She says, Yamaha is sorry you feel that way, and hangs up! I say to hell with Yamaha and i will offload this POS first chance i get!

FYI. RIVA YAMAHA is one of the best dealerships I have ever had the opportunity to work with! They have done everything in their power to help me through this!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Time to go back to Seadoo

Wow sorry to hear about your substandard experience with your Yamaha. It really sucks when you drop that kinda of coin to get treated like third class mail. Do they even know what made the Yamahaha grenade?

You need to come back to Seadoo. Any supercharger problems have been resolved as of 2008 there are no more ceramic washers in the superchargers. The ceramic ones that would fail after 120 hours are gone and you can replace any existing ones.

I run the heck out of my three Seadoos with no problems. One is close to 300 HP.

Here is Yamaha Cust service reps now :15firing: steady :visit:

Good luck :00000056:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
:ranton: I just read through your whole boring RANT! Basically you have a 1 in a million catastrophic engine failure. It takes Yamaha all of 3 days to agree to repair the ski. Then it takes 10 more days for your dealer to receive all the needed parts. Total time from the day that the ski breaks until your dealer gets all the parts for the repair = less than 2 weeks.

GET A LIFE ASSHOLE!

Why couldn't your old man ride one of your other 10 skis..............YEA Right!

Idiots like you are never happy unless the rest of the world is basking in your glow. Yamaha is celebrating your departure............don't let the door hit you on the way out! :rantoff:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Name calling?

Nice post. You can tell the caliber of person you are by your post. Are you Joselin? If you think what happened to me is OK, good for you.

FYI I manufacture machinery in our facility. If our customers have any issue with our equipment in the first month we apologize and replace the unit immediately. After that time we have a 1 day repair policy under the rest of the 3 year warranty. I have been in business since 1974, and even during the bad economy our business grew in profit. I feel this has to do with the way we treat our customers. If I had an employee treat a customer the way I was treated she/he would have been fired on the spot.

As for your post and an update: The engine was finally re-assembled by the dealer on the 20th at 4:00 PM. Not that it is any of your business, but I am now late returning to our production plant where we are re-tooling for the rest of the summer. I need to be there. I was hoping to be able to use my new ski I spent $13000 for, not my old Sea-dooz that need supercharger washer replacements before they fail. I have 5 kids, my wife, my father, and myself that go riding together in key largo. As you can see we require several machines to go out. I frankly think anyone hat would call me an asshole in this situation actualy proves himself to be one instead.

Hope it happens to you sometime, your fellow forum users are waiting to laugh at your problems.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nice post. You can tell the caliber of person you are by your post. Are you Joselin? If you think what happened to me is OK, good for you.

FYI I manufacture machinery in our facility. If our customers have any issue with our equipment in the first month we apologize and replace the unit immediately. After that time we have a 1 day repair policy under the rest of the 3 year warranty. I have been in business since 1974, and even during the bad economy our business grew in profit. I feel this has to do with the way we treat our customers. If I had an employee treat a customer the way I was treated she/he would have been fired on the spot.

As for your post and an update: The engine was finally re-assembled by the dealer on the 20th at 4:00 PM. Not that it is any of your business, but I am now late returning to our production plant where we are re-tooling for the rest of the summer. I need to be there. I was hoping to be able to use my new ski I spent $13000 for, not my old Sea-dooz that need supercharger washer replacements before they fail. I have 5 kids, my wife, my father, and myself that go riding together in key largo. As you can see we require several machines to go out. I frankly think anyone hat would call me an asshole in this situation actualy proves himself to be one instead.

Hope it happens to you sometime, your fellow forum users are waiting to laugh at your problems.
Hey Man, maybe you are not an asshole, maybe you just post like one. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

With each of your posts you put yourself so high up on a pedestal that it is hard not to want to try to knock you off. You throw in your 2 homes, your vacation in Key Largo, that you own 10 jet skis, your fancy (and lets not forget profitable) manufacturing company, etc.. I'm surprised that you didn't manage to work in your visit to the White House, and dinner with the president. None of which, have any relevance to the post..........you are just stroking your own ego.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of other very successful people that post to this forum, but fortunately most of them are not so insecure or arrogant to need to flaunt their achievements in each of their posts.

And then we take a look at the actual meat of your complaint. Your brand new ski has an extremely rare problem (blown engine..........almost unheard of), and Yamaha verifies the failure and then delivers all the parts for the rebuild in under 2 weeks time. We are not talking a fuel pump, or starter, we're talking about all the parts needed to rebuild the engine, and they manage to deliver them all in under 2 weeks............pretty damn impressive. Try the same with the other PWC manufacturers and see what happens. In the mean time you are ranting and raving at some poor employ at Yamaha customer service that cannot do anything to speed a process that is already moving incredibly fast. If Jocelyn were my employee she would be getting a bonus for keeping her cool while you blew your top.

Most of the guys that post to this forum are trying to keep their 1 very used ski running. You are not going to get much sympathy here because it took 2 weeks to get your 10th new ski at your second home in Key Largo fixed. :cheeky4:

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
:ranton: I just read through your whole boring RANT! Basically you have a 1 in a million catastrophic engine failure. It takes Yamaha all of 3 days to agree to repair the ski. Then it takes 10 more days for your dealer to receive all the needed parts. Total time from the day that the ski breaks until your dealer gets all the parts for the repair = less than 2 weeks.

GET A LIFE ASSHOLE!

Why couldn't your old man ride one of your other 10 skis..............YEA Right!

Idiots like you are never happy unless the rest of the world is basking in your glow. Yamaha is celebrating your departure............don't let the door hit you on the way out! :rantoff:
What is this that crap hole pwctoday? I agree with you that two weeks to turn around a completly blown 4 stroke is indeed impresive but there is no need to insult the guy.

A few years ago I waited almost 3 months, yes 3 MONTHS! for a dealer to rebuilt a 3 cylinder Yami 2 stroke for me.:mad::thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back in Missouri, Ski with me!

I decided to tow the ski with me. I will be dropping it in the lake after work tomorrow to see how she runs, the mechanic told me he hit WOT for a few seconds to make sure it was A-OK, but since i have to start break-in over it made me a bit nervous. (I don’t need problems and then a dealer here says “HAY!, you hit WOT and the new engine is not broke in!”) Hopefully, I will be writing in here telling you how good it runs now!

The cause of the failure IMHO, from looking at the remains, was a seized wrist pin. The wrist pin had galling, as well as it was straw brown to purple across the area where the rod seat was. I feel either it had incorrect tolerances in the pin, or the rod, OR the lubrication holes on the rod got clogged with a shaving from manufacturing. Whatever the case the piston disintegrated.

Earnest, give me a break, you need to get a life and stop being such a jerk, do you work for Yamaha? Why so defensive/offensive? Did I hurt YOUR EGO?

OURLEE
I do agree with Earnest, however obnoxious he may be, this was not a normal thing for Yamaha, although that wasn’t the point here. I have many Yamaha machines of different varieties, none of which have given me ANY trouble. The problem is i really feel that Yamaha could have 1 given me a new motor, or 2 given me a new ski. I feel making the dealer handle the problem like they did was WRONG. At least, considering the hours and length of ownership.

Honestly, I don’t see how a company could do any less than Yamaha did for me. I feel they make a FINE machine, INCLUDING the SHO, but I think their customer service is sub-par at best, as they did nothing special at all for me considering hours and length of ownership.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put it in the lake, ran it for 15 minutes, took it out, checked the oil...... Not even on the DIPSTICK!!!!! OH MY GOD! I called Riva, they said it may have been an air bubble, so i added a quart. Checked the oil, a little over the add mark, ok, warm it up and check it again. Plug in the flush kit, start the engine, turn on the water..... OH MY GOD no water coming out of coolant ports on side of ski! Good grief, check the bilge to see if they missed hooking up the flush kit and.... OIL EVERYWHERE! Check the oil, below the dipstick! Check the oil filter, and it is tight. Back to Yamaha, this time Surdyke Yamaha in Missouri. Oh how fun my new FX SHO Cruiser HAS BEEN! :mad::mad::mad:

14.5 hours and 1 week of fun after 1 month of ownership. Eat your heart out EARNEST!:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
811 Posts
I decided to tow the ski with me. I will be dropping it in the lake after work tomorrow to see how she runs, the mechanic told me he hit WOT for a few seconds to make sure it was A-OK, but since i have to start break-in over it made me a bit nervous. (I don’t need problems and then a dealer here says “HAY!, you hit WOT and the new engine is not broke in!”) Hopefully, I will be writing in here telling you how good it runs now!

The cause of the failure IMHO, from looking at the remains, was a seized wrist pin. The wrist pin had galling, as well as it was straw brown to purple across the area where the rod seat was. I feel either it had incorrect tolerances in the pin, or the rod, OR the lubrication holes on the rod got clogged with a shaving from manufacturing. Whatever the case the piston disintegrated.

Earnest, give me a break, you need to get a life and stop being such a jerk, do you work for Yamaha? Why so defensive/offensive? Did I hurt YOUR EGO?

OURLEE
I do agree with Earnest, however obnoxious he may be, this was not a normal thing for Yamaha, although that wasn’t the point here. I have many Yamaha machines of different varieties, none of which have given me ANY trouble. The problem is i really feel that Yamaha could have 1 given me a new motor, or 2 given me a new ski. I feel making the dealer handle the problem like they did was WRONG. At least, considering the hours and length of ownership.

Honestly, I don’t see how a company could do any less than Yamaha did for me. I feel they make a FINE machine, INCLUDING the SHO, but I think their customer service is sub-par at best, as they did nothing special at all for me considering hours and length of ownership.
Do you still think they make a FINE MACHINE????:appl: Anyway I have never heard of a Seadoo failing like this. I guess the future will determine your path. If it were me I would cut my losses and dump it. You will never feel like it is dependable. Some one takes a solo ride and it takes a [email protected]#t again leaving them stuck. :furious3:

Sorry that you have 13 g's sitting there. Good luck with that...............

Keep us posted :costumed-smiley-019

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@Yamadoo
No, it is leaking into the bilge, the oil is leaking out of the engine, somewhere. And the cooling ports are not ejecting water, even with the flush hose connected, maybee a gasket in wrong, or something is clogging the port. The flush hose got rock hard when i turned it on, like there was something blocking it. Surdyke has it now, but they are closed today so no updates. Fortunately i have purchased bikes and a FX SHO from them, so hopefully they get on it quick.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyway I have never heard of a Seadoo failing like this. I guess the future will determine your path. If it were me I would cut my losses and dump it. You will never feel like it is dependable. Some one takes a solo ride and it takes a [email protected]#t again leaving them stuck. :furious3:

Sorry that you have 13 g's sitting there. Good luck with that...............

Keep us posted :costumed-smiley-019
Exactley! But, on the Sea-Doo note, i have 2 sea-doos here, one SC and one not. I bought a riva SC washer and the Riva SC rebuild tools and brought them back with me. I am a little apprehensive about running the SC Sea-Doo until i change the washer because the trade-in for this Yamaha disaster was the exact machine i have here, a 2007 215 HP SC/IC Seadoo that ingested the ceramic SC washer into the engine and i was told it was a $1700 tear-down/rebuild. It has been one disaster after another. I dont think it will take long to change out the washer though, just finding the time.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Are you sure that the Seadoo is stuck??? Usually if the ceramic washer breaks up it is softer than metal and should go right through, similar if a reed breaks in a two stroke it sucks it right thru. I would check it and make sure they are not working you over. No it isn't hard to change washers. Had to due my 2006 Rxt when I put on the RIVA STAGE III kit. Now there is a ski that runs well. Put on a racing ECU and the sky is the limit, no speed limiter.

Did you know the new Seadoos are drive by wire?

·
Registered
811 Posts
BTY you should have the dealer compression test the rebuilt motor. You may have scuffed the piston and cylinders due to low oil. It doesn't take long and they will run scuffed.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have bad luck!

Are you sure that the Seadoo is stuck??? Usually if the ceramic washer breaks up it is softer than metal and should go right through, similar if a reed breaks in a two stroke it sucks it right thru. I would check it and make sure they are not working you over. No it isn't hard to change washers. Had to due my 2006 Rxt when I put on the RIVA STAGE III kit. Now there is a ski that runs well. Put on a racing ECU and the sky is the limit, no speed limiter.

Did you know the new Seadoos are drive by wire?
I dunno, I traded it in on the Yamaha. BUT you will not beleive this!

I decided to take out the 2007 SC/IC Seadoo yesterday, first time this year in Missouri. I re-installed the IC hose put the battery in and it fired right up, YAY! Dropped it in, got about 20' from the dock and it starts missing, oh well i think, its just old gas.... Get up the cove, starts missing worse and worse, i turn and it dies.... I start it back up and i hear some knocking, so i shut it down, pull the dipstick, and CHOCOLATE MILK!!! NO!!!!!!!!! So we dragged it back in, slowly. The whole time im thinking intercooler, because that is the only way i can imagine fresh water entering the engine. Sure enough pulled the ski into the garage and started tearing it down, pulled the intercooler and it had frozen so bad the damn thing hardly came out of the manifold. Now the bitch is getting all the water out, so we sucked and filled and ran and suck and filled and ran until the oil looked clean. Then to find the IC, searched the parts places, cheapest one was $450, checked e-bay, $10! YAY! I bid on it. So, the moral here is, DO NOT TRUST REMOVING THE IC HOSE! I will be filling that sucker with antifreeze from now on! GOd i love water sports, dont you! :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Whoa dude you gotta pickle those skis. Just like here in the mid-atlantic we had 76" of snow last year. If we didn't put antifreeze in they would all freeze.

If you don't get an IC let me know. I have one as a result of upgrading to the Riva Gen II on my 2006 RXT.

Good luck dude....

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Outlaw, THanks! I actually got outbid on the first one, but did a Buy-it-now for one $140, trying to get it next-day aired tommorow. I would like to get that motor HOT to steam out the rest of the water residue ASAP.

No word from Surdyke about the FX-SHO, i will call them tommorow and post the results.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yamaha FX SHO update!

Looks like good news, there was an (oil hose???) with a cut in it that was leaking, new hose on the way should be ready wednesday, YAY!:appl:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Looks like good news, there was an (oil hose???) with a cut in it that was leaking, new hose on the way should be ready wednesday, YAY!:appl:
Like I said earlier make sure they compression test it due to posssible scuffing of the pistons or cylinders from running it low on oil. GOOD LUCK

1 - 20 of 33 Posts