Personal Water Craft Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry, I had to respond to this

I don't have 2 homes or 10 jet skis but a sale is a sale. If this guy had an engine failure like this that soon they should have taken the ski back! It doesn't matter if you buy one or ten. If it broke that soon they should give you a new one. Think about it. If you spent that kind of money on a ski do you want it to have a history like that? What happens when you want to sell it. Do you honestly think that someone wants to buy a ski with that history? If you ask me it degrades the value of it! They have plenty of ski repair schools they could send it to for people to learn. It doesn't make any sense to treat a customer that way with a hopefully rare instance. Just my two cents. People come to these sights to vent and it helps the rest of us know what companies truly stand behind there product. If your gonna jump on someone because there doing better than you don't expect for most to share there problems with you so you know who to buy from in the future.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I am not a Yamaha employee, but I do have two XLT 1200's. I just want to lend my support to Ernest T. I have not seen anyone else on the Yamaha portion of this forum who is as willing to lend information and assistance to those in need as he is. He is indeed a stauch supporter of Yamaha, and I believe his support stems from his personal experience with Yamaha and other brands of PWC. When YOU have as many posts, and have assisted as many people as Ernest T, then maybe you can throw stones. Until that time keep your stones to yourself.

And maybe you caught him on a bad day two years ago when your 10th ski died. Maybe all your talk about your 10 skis, your numerous houses and your profitable business rubbed him the wrong way. Remember, "to err is human, to forgive divine."

In 2011 I had problems with a broken timing chain on a sea poo GTI with only 30 hours. Puked the entire engine. sea poo told me to go pound sand as the GTI was out of warranty. My easy solution was to get rid of the sea poo and switch to Yamaha. I will never recommend or own another sea poo. That's my approach to my bad experience. Suck it up and keep on going.

I hope that your future experiences with Yamahas will be trouble free, and that you will be able to enjoy your 10 (maybe now 12) jet skis at your two fine homes financed by your more-than-prosperous business endeavors without any worries or problems. I also extend my best to Ernest T., and thank him for all the hours of help, information and assistance he has provided to this forum.

Happy Holidays to you all, with wishes of peace on Earth and good will among men.

Z

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ill second that about Ernest, he more than anyone on this forum constantly gives his time and help, so lets not throw too many stones.

If this had happened to me, I would have demanded a new ski, no rebuild for me when I buy a new ski and it fails that fast, I would want another new ski PERIOD, or I would tell them to take it back and give me my money back or something.
That said, I think this was a rare case, and the talk about how many skis or houses you have had nothing to do with the issue or why any of us would agree that Yamaha owned you a new ski or a rebuild.
I would say that once you agreed to havething them ship you the engine parts, you should have known you were in for some kind of wait, seems I cant get anything shipped in a week or two unless its Amazon.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have to stick up for Ernest as well. He and I have been friends on this forum for over 2 years. He by far knows more about Yamaha jet skis then anyone else on this forum. I am a Seadoo guy to the end, but Yamaha is my second choice. Just like Seadoo is his second choice. He takes the time to help people out that otherwise would be clueless. Very rarely does he even get a thank you. So the haters should get a life some where else.

Later

Outlaw

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't cry. I bought a new engine block, 4 piston rods, 5 valves, and pistons...

It ran in the shop really well. When I went to test in the water, on 9K rpm and another cylinder threw a rod, just like the Cylinder # 1 That threw a rod before the Complete rebuild.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To Ernest T: After my FX HO threw the rod fist time.. I read tons of forums to try to find a reason to why it did it (throwing a rod cyl. # 1)..

I have read all "Ernest T" threads and basically all he talked about was kids stuff like "maybe some one had rode it harshly or maybe you put too much or not enough oil in the engine). I called Yamaha dealer as well, to see if there was an update or a recall to that engine failure problem

I am a 20 year experienced Technician and I was very curious to open(take apart) the engine to see and examine the root cause of this problem. After I took apart the engine the second time (knowing that nobody else rode on that rebuilt engine except me) After full examination, I now know the exact cause of why this failure happens.

The problems is in the Exhaust Valves are too weak and rips the head from the valve stem and falls into the cylinder damages the cylinder head and seizes the piston and throws the rod flying.

After I spend a ton of money for rebuild I have no choice but to give away or get ride of Yamaha for long even though I really liked the body style and the smoothness of the jetski (When it did Run). and I think because of this problem Yamaha has stopped making 160HP motors anymore, Now they make the same motor with a lot less power (140HP) for the valves to not break. And Yamaha has never even agreed that it was their fault. 1050cc = 160HP non turbo and very easy to work on, and it would be the best motor in the world if it was a reliable engine and ran for more then 50hrs before throwing a Rod.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm sorry for your problems with the FX HO. I do not work for Yamaha or represent Yamaha in any way, shape or form. I am simply and end user like you. What I do know that the problem you describe is EXTREMELY RARE on this engine model. I doubt that you could find 10 documented cases anywhere on non-rebuilt engines. And that is out of the millions of this type of engine that is out there. On rebuilt engines all bets are off, since they almost never use OEM parts. Could it happen on a new engine...............YES. Any engine that turns 10,000 RPMs certainly has a chance for catastrophic failure, but a single or even a handful of failed engines out of millions does not a design flaw make. As a 20 year experienced technician, certainly you can agree with that, and you have surely seen it before in other machines. My sister bought a brand new Honda Civic, which caught fire and burned to the ground because of an electrical fault with only 475 miles. Does that mean all Honda Civics all have some design flaw? Evidently not, cause they are still cranking them out and people are still buying them. Could your ski have a faulty part, or could it have been put together incorrectly...........YES, but that does not condemn the entire line.

In your case the ski was used, so you have no idea what abuse the previous owner may have inflected on it before you bought it. What if it was run without oil, or over heated on the hose? Since those 25 hours before you bought the ski are a total unknown, how can you even begin to try and claim some manufacture flaw????

The MR1 engine has been around for a long time. It was originally the R1 engine that Yamaha uses in many motorcycles. The MR1 engine is still running strong and still being produced. Yamaha has used it exclusively with very little modification in the VX series since 2005. And it is still going into the 2013 models of the most popular ski in the world. Yamaha switching to the 1800 cc engines has nothing to do with problems with the MR1, but with the need to keep up with the other manufacturers who are producing 250+ HP skis.

Bottom line: You bought a used ski and it broke. I think that is a risk you take for just about anything you buy, especially used. You can either keep whining, moaning, and complaining or move on. I don't mind your posts on this forum, but I would ask that you leave my name out of them. I did nothing to cause your problem, and all I could to help.
My recommendation is to accept your loss. Part out the ski and look for a NEW (not used) ski in a different brand and buy the extended warranty if you really want a ski.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"My sister bought a brand new Honda Civic, which caught fire and burned to the ground because of an electrical fault with only 475 miles." Assuming that happened within 6 months the dealer has to cover it.

Also, since we are rezzing an ancient thread anyway. 14.5 hours and a blown engine is what we call a "lemon."

It should have been swapped at the dealer and (at Yamaha's Expense) shipped back to them for diagnostics instead of having the dealer look at it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts