Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am planning to buy my first PWC in a few weeks time, I would be so grateful if some one would advice me which one to buy? My choices would be between the Yamaha FX SHO and the Kawasaki Ultra 260x , I live by the sea and I will be using it only in seawater, it would be great if some one can compare the two brands in terms of durability and running cost.
Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi, I am planning to buy my first PWC in a few weeks time, I would be so grateful if some one would advice me which one to buy? My choices would be between the Yamaha FX SHO and the Kawasaki Ultra 260x , I live by the sea and I will be using it only in seawater, it would be great if some one can compare the two brands in terms of durability and running cost.
Thanks
I can answer the durability question from what I have seen and heard Yamaha is the better choice especially when it comes to supecharged engines. However neither has closed loop cooling sysems which are better for saltwater useage. Seadoo has that system. So you must flush after each use since you are saltwater cooling. I'd actually think I would stop jet skiing if Kawasaki was my only choice.:)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I agree with Outlaw that the Yamaha will be the more reliable ski. There have been very few reported problems with the stock SHOs, the Kawasaki is a different story. The advantage to the Kaw is that it will give you a slightly better ride in rough ocean water due to the weight, and deep "V" shape of the hull. Both models suck fuel, so expect to spend lots of time at the pump. The SHO will get around 6 miles per gallon at a cruising speed of around 30 mph and will burn close to 19 gallons of fuel per hour at WOT. I suspect the Kaw will be slightly worse on fuel with the larger engine, but I have never seen published stats.

If you don't mind loosing 3 mph, consider the Yamaha FX HO, which has the same engine as the SHO without the supercharger. You will get much better fuel economy, and all the same features as the SHO with less maintenance worries. Believe me, in the ocean you will rarely be able to ride at full speed, so I doubt that you will ever notice the extra speed of the SHO. Professional open water riders are lucky to average 55 mph in the ocean and the FX HO will do 63-64 mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can answer the durability question from what I have seen and heard Yamaha is the better choice especially when it comes to supecharged engines. However neither has closed loop cooling sysems which are better for saltwater useage. Seadoo has that system. So you must flush after each use since you are saltwater cooling. I'd actually think I would stop jet skiing if Kawasaki was my only choice.:)
Thanks very much to outlaw and Earnst T, your recommendation is very much informative . I live in Egypt and planning to ride the PWC in the red sea which the water is not really rough like the ocean , however I am not into high speed but rather I like fast acceleration and tight maneuvering. I guess the FX HO can do the job, isn't it ? Specially with fuel consumption and low maintenance demand.
Your comments is highly appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just one quick question , how easy to do the after ride maintenance I.e salt water flushing etc.? Is there any difference between the supercharged engine and normal ones in regard to durability and after ride maintenance ?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
No real difference in post ride flushing with the supercharger on Yamaha skis. The post ride flush is pretty easy: Get the ski level, hook it up to a hose, start the engine, start the water, let it run for 3-5 minutes, stop the water, then stop the engine.........your done. Once a month or so, I recommend flushing with Salt-Away or similar product, and rinsing the inside of the engine compartment with it. It is also a good idea to spray metal components with an anti-corrosive periodically if you ride in salt water. My favorite products are Fluid Film, Corrosion X, and CRC 656 in that order.

Keep in mind that the supercharger adds moving parts to any ski. For the Yamaha it is gear driven and has a clutch, on Kawasaki skis it is belt driven, and I'm not sure how it works on SeaDoo. So, you have more potential failure points, and more points that will need lubrication, inspection, and periodic replacement. For Yamaha SHO and FZR/FZS models with the supercharger, I have not heard of any major failure problems with the supercharger, but keep in mind this system is relatively new (only out since 2008). There have been problems reported with clutch failures primarily on skis that have been modified for more speed on the Yamaha models.

If speed is not a big issue for you, stay with the non-supercharged models. For Yamaha you only loose about 3 mph. You will save lots of $$$ on fuel, and not have to worry about the supercharger failing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Earnst T , I will go with Yamaha FX HO, if you are on my shoes you go for a used one or brand new one? and what should I look into when buying a used one ?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks Earnst T , I will go with Yamaha FX HO, if you are on my shoes you go for a used one or brand new one? and what should I look into when buying a used one ?
Thanks
For a first time buyer a new ski is not a bad idea. It is sometimes hard to evaluate a ski, especially a 4 stroke if you have not ridden that model or are familiar with the mechanics. That is especially true for skis that have been ridden in salt water.

That said, skis are just like cars. They depreciate 20% just taking them out of the dealer lot, so you can find some good deals on lightly used skis. If you see an FX HO in your area with low hours (100 or less), it might be worth taking a look at. Keep in mind, that there are 2 different versions of the FX HO. Pre-2009 models have a smaller engine, and are a few mph slower than the 2009 and later models, but are a very reliable ski, fun ski.

If you decide to go used, the most important thing you can do is take a test ride on the ski. If the ski starts cold, accellerates well, hits close to 7500 rpm (for 2009 and later FX HOs) or 10000 rpm (for pre-2009 FX HOs), and does not have internal or external signs of corrosion or rust, you can be pretty sure you have a good ski.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts