Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Yamaha Waverunner FX140. When I took it out of storage it would not crank. It only made a clicking sound. I assumed the battery had discharged during storage. I hooked up my battery charger to the battery while it was still installed in the ski. I charged it on 10 amps for about 4 hours. The ski started up fine and I rode it that day. The next day the ski was dead again. I figured the battery was bad, so I bought a new one. I took the ski out again and watched the voltage meter on the dash gauge. With the ski off it read 12 volts. When I started it up it went to 11.8 volts. As I rode it for about 30 minutes it kept dropping. Now, I know the charging system is not working properly. Could charging the battery with it installed in the ski on 10 amps blown some fuse somewhere? I need help in trouble shooting the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
The reg/rectifier plug corrodes. To get to it easy, take the four bolts out that hold the metal plate between the seats on, remove the plate and you can get to it easily. Because the plug faces upside down like a bucket, the water sits in there and corrodes the terminal. The actual reg/rectifiers never fails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my FX140. However, when riding for a longer time, when I shut off, the jet ski will not restart for well over 20 minutes. I did not see your post until I posted my own question to the forum.

I plan to check my retifier assy tonight. Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi did you ever get to the bottom of it? i have the same problem with my 2003 fx140, ive replaced the battery and cleaned and greased the rectifier plug, any ideas??? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it's worth-

I had the same issue with my fx140 (battery not charging and battery running down).

I replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier and it fixed the problem. Didn't see any issues with connector or wires. Just changed out rectifier and that resolved the issue- now showing 12.8v when running and battery seems to be charging fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts