Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes does sometimes doesn't. Have really good water pressure and a flat surface. How important is it to have water coming out of port side outlet when flushing? Is it part of cooling system or just an overflow etc? 2013 Fxho. Thanks

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
you may not get enough water volume to push water from the port pisser. to make it come out the port pisser may require clamping the water supply line that comes in from your pump. the water coming in from the flush hose comes to a T or Y splice in the water supply hose from the pump. so part is going to motor and part will go back to the pump that doesn't need it. either clamp the hose to the pump or put a valve in it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
On my 2002 FX140, the port side vent is coupled to the exhaust pipe. The hose between the vent and exhaust pipe is part number 5 in the schematic below. Look closely and you can see where it attaches to the exhaust pipe (part number 34). The connection to the pipe (on mine) is on the front side (not the oil reservoir side) of the engine
2002 Yamaha FX140 (FX1000A) Exhaust 1 | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse
I personally think something is clogged if water stops coming out of the vent. If the machine overheats, your Thermosensor (if working properly) on the starboard side of the engine block will set off the overheating alarm and put the machine in a restricted mode of operation (restricted throttle)

ps: Yes it it part of the cooling system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I loosly understand both replys. Thank you. However I am wondering if it is important that water comes out of the port pisser during flush (if not could cause over heating perhaps?) Or is its purpose not so critical. I try not to flush longer than a minute or 2 anyway. No overheat warning thus far

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
on my GPr i like to see water at least coming from the right side pisser as its the one that comes off the top of the motor so I know at least the entire motor has water. the other bleeds from the top of the exhaust and is not as critical because I know I have water going through it based on out put at the exhaust exit. but I also have a valve in my water supply from pump so all the water from my garden hose goes through the motor. biggest thing is to remember to open the valve after so motor drains and it gets water the next time I go riding.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Lets forget about the water coming out of the left side vent for a minute. More importantly is the overheating or non-overheating of the engine. Typically your Thermosensor and Thermoswitches will protect your engine from damage. But in some cases these items fail. There is an infrared device on the market that can be used to measure your block, header, and pipe temperatures to see if they are operating within design specification.

Water not coming out of the left vent is not correct operation on my 2002 FX140. On my machine it means something is not functioning how it is designed to function. Here is a video I made last night

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
the other thing that I failed to mention is that your hose could be blocked by a bee/bug nest in the hose. if you disconnect it from the motor you should able to blow through it. if not fish a small piece of wire through it or use compressed air to clear.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Found evidence of why my left vent is not discharging. River sand. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I am sure there is LOTS more throughout the cooling system

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I will try to trace the hose and give it a blow out to start with, will post back what I find, if anything

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have not yet tested for any blockages as my ski is up north at the mo, however have found on another thread, some more information that could be the issue, or part of. I could have had the nose of the ski too high on flush, and this may prevent the required volume reaching the port side outlet. Although it seemed like a flat surface I will try nose down a little and give it a test

·
Registered
588 Posts
I read your posting. That is good information from a reputable source (Ernest T). Until now I had not considered water taking the reverse path at the "Y" joint

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That is what I was saying in first post. Although I found puting nose down doesn't work very well. And rather than have to clamp the line I chose to put a valve in it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Sure can Jarrad, to cure my low water pressure flush issues I installed a small ball valve in my cooling supply line coming from the jet pump. (See pic) the blue marked hose is the cooling supply from the jet pump. The green marked hose is the flush line coming down from the connecter. And the red circle of course is the Y connection.

The valve I ordered though home Depot's website in this case its made by rainbird irrigation. It's a 1/2"barbed ended valve. This valve is out there under several names.

Close the valve flush as normal. Then open valve, turn off water as usual.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts