Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased two Jet Ski‘s last month. The person I bought them from passed away last year and I am unsure how they were winterized. I took the Yamaha out about two weeks ago and had an absolute awesome blast on the water. After running it for a few days —out of the middle of nowhere the 2001 wave runner started shutting off. You can hear it’s starving for fuel and then totally shuts off. It is a bit difficult to restart but often I can get it restarted with no acceleration ability. If I wait it out and try it the next day it works perfectly for about fifteen minutes of operating and then repeats?? Where shall I start?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
One thought that comes to mind is fuel vent. The fuel tank should be holding a little bit of pressure.
When you remove the fuel cap does it blow air out?
Next time it shuts off try removing the cap. I'm wondering if the vent is clogged with a spider web or something and not letting air in as fuel is consumed. Thus drawing a vacuum on the tank. The tank of course will also be collapsed due to vacuum if you look at it.

If this is it, the vent line comes out through the hull below the throttle end of handle bar. Under the cowling. The hose can be removed inside the hull but is difficult to put back as the vent tube connection can easily push out when installing hose. This may require removal of right side cowling and use a small object to hold the vent as it's just under the top edge of the air intake under the cowling. I use a small screw driver.
The easiest access to test this thery is to disconnect the vent line at the top of the tank. Through the front cover look for a little white check valve under the steering column. down on top of the tank where all the hoses go into tank. This is the vent valve that let's air in but not out. Leave the valve in place and remove vent line from on top of it. Then test ride.

If this works use compressed air to blow out through the vent line to try to clear obstruction. You should be able to blow through line freely.

DO NOT LEAVE VENT DISCONNECTED LONG TERM. FUEL VAPOR IS VERY EXPLOSIVE WHEN TRAPPED IN SKI. DO THIS FOR SHORT TERM TEST ONLY. VENTILATE SKI PRYOR TO STARTING. SEAT OFF COMPARTMENT DOOR OPEN, TUB REMOVED.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok..went and checked the tank vent.. pulled it off and it did not have any restrictions. I blew/and sucked (carefully).. I thought there was supposed to be a check valve (both directions fine). I then connected to a water supply for first time (have been just putting in lake to test): and notice that there is ZERO water flowing through the system. I increase water pressure and get nothing. I wait a few minutes and some water slowly drips from the bottom near the intake.. but nothing out the pisser. Theory: I have a blockage and the jet ski is overheating. MY lcd control screen is dead, so I cannot see any alarms. Could the jet ski be shutting down with heat as a result?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Over heating should cause it to go into limp mode. Limiting it to around 3000/4000 rpm.
Quite often the hose can not supply enough water to fully come out either pisser. Try lowering the nose of the trailer as low as it will go. Sometimes this will help. If not, you may need a valve put in the infeed line from the pump to stop the water from backfeeding into the pump. Right now you should see water coming out the jet pump and the exhaust port to the right of jet pump. Up under the ride plate. If not there you may have a blockage

Are you pre-mixing or injecting oil?
If injecting, is there signs of oil in the bottom of the hull?
The reason I ask is, these skis when injected have a habit of the oil lines breaking starving it of oil. This is caused by lack off oil injection maintenance. Not hard to do just labor intensive. This can cause some of the simtoms you disscribe. Look closely below the air box and around bilge screen. Reach under motor with clean paper towel. Any sign of fresh oil. Do not start ski.

If it is starving for fuel the only other possible cause is the fuel control valve or filter. I'd replace the filter. And if that doesn't resolve it then I'd bypass the control valve for a test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So further inspection. I pulled the filter, cleaned until I had good liquid flowing, then blow dried. Reinstalled, and ZERO gas coming through the system. I am looking at the filter, and after cranking it does not draw fuel into filter at all. control valve next? I shall give that a try. If I can get gas flowing, I can further troubleshoot (or maybe the control valve is the culprit). The control valve is rough/very hard to turn.. so maybe.....

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The control valves are known to clog up. The seals break down and make a mess. Big pieces of dirt get caught in them. Get some 1/4" tygon hose and run from the top of the tank to the inlet side of filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts