Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a used 1999 Yamaha GP 1200 Waverunner. It runs great! Problem I'm having is how much fuel it's consuming. Went for about an hour and 45 minutes on what I thought was a full tank of gas. Mind you I'm a novice on this one and didn't see where to read the fuel gauge. Stupid I know! Anyway, I know the engine is larger than my Sea Doo GSX which I can go for about 5-6 hours without refueling. First time out on the Yamaha and after about an hour and 45 minutes we get the low fuel warning. It ran out shortly thereafter. No! I didn't use the Reserve (dumb again), and I had the dial set to tank not Res. I got it up to about 55 mph a couple of times but otherwise road around 35-40 mph. Is it normal that I only got that much time out of a full tank? Previous owner who still has two, says a full tank should have given me a lot more time than that. I'm wondering if new spark plugs would help gas efficiency? Otherwise I really like this machine. Are there any 1999 GP 1200 owners out there that can tell me on average about how many hours in a day you normally get out of your 1200? I know what the specs say on full throttle for one hour would take 16 gallons which is more than the tank holds. But generally, is there THAT MUCH of a difference between tank time on a 1999 Yamaha GP 1200 and a 1996 Sea Doo GSX?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So much for trying to get help on a forum. After almost 3 days one response. Thanks people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Will do! I'll let you know. Thank you for attempting to help! I've replaced the plugs at .028 gap. Engine fires up right away. I will fill the tank full and go hit the lake. Then I'll get back to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts