Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a yamaha 07 GP1300R and yamaha 01 GP1200R. The 01 has had the oil injection removed because of the previous engine burning up because oil injector quit. So I premix the gas for it. After hearing that story I am paranoid about the 07 doing the same thing. My question is how do I know if the 07 is using the amount of oil it needs? How can I check oil level and usage? I have ridden it for about 4 hours and when I filled up with gas, I used the same measure bottle from the 01 to put oil in and it did not hold the amount of oil called for in the 01. I hope that made sense. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ain't really no way of checking if it works properly. Its a matter of trust, and it can give you goosebumps from time to time.

My best advice is to block off the oil-pump and go premix, i bet 9/10 riders would agree on that.

Having a siezed engine is not party-time and will cost you a fortune, especially with a GP1300R.

I have just gotten new cylinder coating in mine (Niscasil) - costed me a fortune.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ain't really no way of checking if it works properly. Its a matter of trust, and it can give you goosebumps from time to time.

My best advice is to block off the oil-pump and go premix, i bet 9/10 riders would agree on that.

Having a siezed engine is not party-time and will cost you a fortune, especially with a GP1300R.

I have just gotten new cylinder coating in mine (Niscasil) - costed me a fortune.
I got news for ya Nicasil (proper spelling) is no better. If you score that it is trash, you gotta send it out and get it renicasiled.

I haven't premixed anything but a weed whacker since 1975 !!!!

I owned twenty or so Skidoo snowmobiles since 1985, all two stroke oil injection in very cold conditions and NEVER had an oil pump fail.

Why would you want to put premix thru your carbs and gum them up. Foul plugs at idle, choke yourself and everyone else by running 5O:1 AT IDLE WASTING OIL AND PUTTING OUT MORE POLLUTION THEN 8 FOUR STROKES RUNNING SIDE BY SIDE

Dudes here are getting rid of the two stroke GPR 1300 motor and putting four stroke supercharged Seadoo 1500's in place and hauling big ass, 90 mph. They call it a YAMADOO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Totally agree with Outlaw. Fuel injectors will gum up and be trashed and plugs willl foul on a regular basis. From some of my research and discussions with other Yamaha riders, it's not common for the oil pump to fail but more often the lines come off the pump and the cylinder starves for oil. Maintenace should include examining the oil lines and if concerned, securing with zip ties to prevent premature pop off. I would always keep the oil tank full and gas tank full every chance you get. Condensation is not a friend in the gas tank. For what its worth, I am new to the forum and waverunners but I try to gain as much information as I can from all who know MORE than I will ever know and follow their wisdom and advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 99 xl1200 limited that I am premixing. I also have a 08 Gp1300r that still has the oil pump on. I trust the 08 alittle more because of EFI and the fact that it has 26 hours. I recommend premixing all 1200s. I'm yet to faul a plug or gum a carb, and I know it is getting oil for sure. I don't trust those zip ties. Rubber lines stretch with heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts