Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a yamaha 07 GP1300R and yamaha 01 GP1200R. The 01 has had the oil injection removed because of the previous engine burning up because oil injector quit. So I premix the gas for it. After hearing that story I am paranoid about the 07 doing the same thing. My question is how do I know if the 07 is using the amount of oil it needs? How can I check oil level and usage? I have ridden it for about 4 hours and when I filled up with gas, I used the same measure bottle from the 01 to put oil in and it did not hold the amount of oil called for in the 01. I hope that made sense. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The oil injection system will most likely always burn less oil than the premix. The whole purpose of the injection system is to meter the amount of oil the engine needs for specific rpms. The injection system supposedly puts just the amount of oil needed for lubrication, while you are burning a constant amount, regardless of what is required for lubrication, with the premix.

The oil injection system is the better option as far as the engine, the environment, and your pocket book is concerned as long as it is functioning properly. The disadvantage is that the injection system tends to fail with disastrous results, unless you are vigilante in keeping it working properly.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
How do I know if it is working properly?
I've heard that you can pull off the flame arrestor and actually see the oil being pumped in. Other guys have replaced the oil lines with clear tubing so they can see the oil flow. Others occasionally pull off the oil pump and test it separately on a yearly basis.

Probably the most common reason for failure is an oil line coming off, so I'd periodically check the lines and the connections to be sure they are secure.

The problem with the oil injection system, is that you could verify that it is working one minute, only to have it fail the next. Unlike many other systems on the ski, when the oil injection system fails, you end up with catastrophic damage. Therefore, you will find many that say, why take the risk...........replace the system with the fool proof premix system, and you have one less worry.

My personal opinion is that for skis less than 5 years old, I'd stick with the oil injection system. For skis over 5 years, I'd definitely look at going premix, because the chance for failure tends to significantly increase after this point, and a failure at this time will virtually total the ski.

One more reason to stay with 4 strokes IMO. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree that the main cause of oil pump failure is not the pump but the oil lines coming off. Lots of vibration and banging down there. An inexpensive insurance policy is to place zip or cable ties on the oil pump lines/fitting. Gives me a little more sense of security.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts