Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GP1800 - 2018 with 50 hours on the clock.

I took it to TeamMoto Frankston to have it serviced for winter at 40 hours.

I finally had the chance to use it after lock down in Melbourne, used it for a few weeks etc.

Went to take it out and whilst I was riding it, the ski lost power and suddenly stopped Thankfully I was close to shore.

I have taken the ski back to TeamMoto in Franston who have taken the ski apart and informed me that the cause was due to a valve broke and dropped into the cylinder head damaging the piston and possibly the cylinder and connecting rod.

So after TeamMoto Frankston have spoken to Yamaha they inform me that the spark plugs are rusted and have been affected by lack of winterisation. They mentioned to me that I did not do a fogging therefore I am responsible.

I thought by taking the ski to a Yamaha dealer they would do this or inform me that this was required for Winter. I thought they would check my Spark Plugs ? Thought that they would mention that the ski requires to be fogged ?? No they did not.

I have looked in the User's Manual or Yamaha Manual and there is NO MENTION of Fogging.

SO my advice to you is NEVER BUY A YAMAHA SKI especially a GP1800.

·
Registered
623 Posts
PERIOD OF WARRANTY. Any new Yamaha WaveRunner watercraft purchased for pleasure use will be warranted for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase, subject to exclusions noted herein.

Sorry about your bad turn of events. If your product (ski or whatever) is out of the warranty period, and the failure is not due to a design or manufacturing fault, they will hold you responsible. The problem here is that the engine needs to be disassembled and diagnosed to determine the root causes of the failure

Again, I am sorry about your trouble with your ski. It sounds like what they are saying (but not actually saying) is that one of the valves became stuck (over time and non-use) in its sleeve. When a piston hits a stuck valve it breaks it. I have had this experience (on a car).

I have not fogged in the past but I will now start. I can understand how the lubricant gets between the valve stem and its sleeve and reduces sticking

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ski. Sounds like your dealer was negligent in not properly winterizing your ski. Although I am unfamiliar with your legal system, I would strongly suggest speaking with an attorney/barrister and filing a lawsuit against the dealership. The dealership likely has insurance that will pay for this damage which will be quite expensive. I am a trial attorney in the United States and have successfully sued recalcitrant dealerships and manufacturers on behalf of clients and myself. Keep us posted. Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts