Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nearly new 2014 Yamaha Superjet, which has been running perfectly since we bought it earlier this year (guessing it has ~20 hours on it). We ran it last night with zero problems, but then this afternoon, within 100 feet, it would die. Start it back up, get up on plane and standing, then it dies again.

We had similar problems awhile back, and not sure if it solved any problems, but we just left the fuel petcock on "reserve", and the problem went away.

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but within the hull where the engine sits, there is about 2" of standing water. We have a second Superjet, and it's dry in the engine compartment. Doesn't seem like it should be related, but it was something I noticed when I had the hood off. I suspect that regardless of whether it's related, the seal around the drive shaft has gone bad?

We've been running the same premium fuel, same fuel ratio, same oil (Yamalube 2R), and in fact, filled the ski with the same gas from yesterday. Literally, rode it last night, put it on the lift, and immediately had problems right from the dock today.

It "feels" like it's just running out of fuel, checked the cables and the choke is off, throttle cable opens the carbs when you pull the trigger, so I don't think it's mechanical.

Any guidance on where we should start looking? Haven't pulled the plugs yet (to see if they are fouling), figured (hoped) this was a common problem and the remedy might be simple.

Thanks in advance for any guidance / insight others might be able to provide, appreciate you reading this and helping out.

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts
First thing is to find the source of the water. Check all the exhaust bolts, and hose clamps. You might need to drop it in the water and fire it to find the leak. Also make sure the bilge pump is not plugged. Pull the plugs, and maybe just change them to eliminate that. Seeing that you put it on reserve and solved the issue last time, sounds like a fuel issue. Pull the pickup from the tank and blow through it to make sure it is not plugged, and check all the fuel lines to make sure they are tight and secure. If that doesn't work, pull the fuel selector valve and make sure it is not plugged. If all that fails, you may need to kit the carbs. The inlet screens might be restricted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rodsatheart - thanks for the response, my next move was to pull the fuel filter, blow air thru the fuel lines, and then potentially bypass the on / reserve switch, and see if that solves it. Hoping its something simple like a plugged fuel line, although not sure how that would happen? I pulled the plugs last night, they look pretty good, so I don't think it's fouled plugs. Even if one were bad, it would still run, just poorly. We have two identical ski's, and the other one runs fine (we're almost at sea level), so I don't think this is a jetting issue, as both have been running perfect for some time now. Hope to dig into it today and see if we can make some progress, thanks again for taking the time to provide some thoughts on this!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rodsatheart - thanks for the response, my next move was to pull the fuel filter, blow air thru the fuel lines, and then potentially bypass the on / reserve switch, and see if that solves it. Hoping its something simple like a plugged fuel line, although not sure how that would happen? I pulled the plugs last night, they look pretty good, so I don't think it's fouled plugs. Even if one were bad, it would still run, just poorly. We have two identical ski's, and the other one runs fine (we're almost at sea level), so I don't think this is a jetting issue, as both have been running perfect for some time now. Hope to dig into it today and see if we can make some progress, thanks again for taking the time to provide some thoughts on this!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts