Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2017 Yamaha Ex Sport with the Tr-1 engine. I am planing to do a oil change on it soon and have some questions. I have seen on the internet that by some that not all the oil should be filled in the dip stick hole. Some people suggest pouring ½ in the valve cover and ½ in the dip stick hole. Will it not all fit in the crankcase? I am planing on purchasing a service manual and reading up on that. Another question. When I check the oil level should I screw in the dipstick or push it in without screwing it in all the way.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
The engines them selves do not hold the oil. It is a dry sump system. To check the oil level, the engine must be at operating temp and the dipstick fully seated. proper oil level is in the middle at operating temp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I think the dipstick hole is the oil fill. It is the type that screws in. Are you familiar with this engine? I’m not sure if I should add all of the oil into the dipstick hole (one the crankcase) or half in the valve cover (there is a black cap on the top) and half in the dipstick hole. Shouldn’t it all fit into the dipstick hole?

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
The reason they are adding some oil to the engine is to prevent a dry start on initial start up I guess, but I don't see a need for it. You will not get all the oil out of the system. Some will remain in the engine as you are only pumping oil from the tank. The dipstick is in the oil tank, and that holds the necessary oil volume. The engine does not have a oil pan like a car does to hold all the oil. The excess in the engine will get pumped back into the tank. Note that to much oil in the engine can cause seals to get blown out, oil in the intake system, or in extreme cases, hyrolock.
Look at page 47 of the owners manual.
http://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/owner-manuals/Waverunners/PF3YF819970E.PDF

Here's another video. Only thing I would do different is not fill it full until it is at operating temp (as the manual states). Bring it to about half way.

I would run the engine for a couple of minutes before the oil change to get as much oil in the tank as poss.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I thought that sounded Odd to have to pour the oil in two different places. One more question. I haven’t found a clear answer on if while checking the oil I have to screw in the dipstick All the way before reading the level or just push it in before the threads?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts