Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So after extensive research and way too many hours watching YouTube videos, I've narrowed my search for my first PWC to the Yamaha VXR. Love the fact that it's a no-frills sports car of a ski that will fit 3 people, smoke any other ski (stock) on the water, and it won't break the bank.

So here's the problem: for all my searching, I can't find a single video or post about being pulled, i.e. tubing, wakeboarding, skiing, behind one. Without a supercharger, does it have enough torque to pull a wakeboarder out of the water or do I need a fuel-guzzling supercharged beast for that? I feel like anything that can push 70mph out of the box should, but the light weight of the ski concerns me. Anyone out there riding one of these that can enlighten me?

Thanks!

C.D.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi all,

So after extensive research and way too many hours watching YouTube videos, I've narrowed my search for my first PWC to the Yamaha VXR. Love the fact that it's a no-frills sports car of a ski that will fit 3 people, smoke any other ski (stock) on the water, and it won't break the bank.

So here's the problem: for all my searching, I can't find a single video or post about being pulled, i.e. tubing, wakeboarding, skiing, behind one. Without a supercharger, does it have enough torque to pull a wakeboarder out of the water or do I need a fuel-guzzling supercharged beast for that? I feel like anything that can push 70mph out of the box should, but the light weight of the ski concerns me. Anyone out there riding one of these that can enlighten me?

Thanks!

C.D.
Hey welcome, The Yamaha VXR is a very nice ski. It is best in class for speed. Don't think it will beat the FZR or the Seadoo RXTX. It has great performance in smooth water, however it is a bouncy wet ride in chop.

Biggest problem with towing a wake boarder is the weight of the ski. It is too light and can be easily yanked side ways causing the driver to lose control . Tubing should be fine as you are just pulling straight line. Slalom skier would be disastrous because of the tremendous g-force of cutting real hard.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Like Outlaw said the VXR has plenty of power to pull anything you mentioned, but wake boarders and skiers will not be happy, because they are pretty much limited to straight lines (no back and forth), plus there is no wake.........so wake boarding is no fun except for rank novices. Tubes with small kids work OK, but you are better off with a boat for the other stuff........and that applies to all skies, not just the VXR.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Outlaw and Ernest T make great points---the VXR has more than enough power (180hp!) to pull virtually any tube. I have the same engine in my '10 FXHOs (which I think weigh about a hundred pounds more than the VXR (one of the reasons the VXR is so fast is it's comparably light for its power) and they will pull anything my 20 ft Sea Doo jet boat will (and it's a certified Waterski Assoc tow boat--I think most larger Sea Doo boats are)

But, as was stated, the light weight of any PWC (compared to a boat) means it will be "pulled around" a bit by the weight of the tube and it will not produce a decent wakeboard wake--again, especially compared to a boat.

But, in the world of PWCs good for towing, the VXR is in the top tier because of its power. If a good wake for wakeboarding is important, Sea Doo makes a PWC designed for that with water ballast tubes built in to add weight to increase the wake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your informed responses. I'm glad to hear, as I suspected, that the VXR will have enough power to pull just about anything. The relatively small amount of wake produced by such a light ski could be a problem if we were anything approaching experienced on a wakeboard, to be honest i've never even done it! It's something I would like to try, though. I've seen attachable ballast tanks to add weight, would this be a solution to the light weight of the ski? Being able to remove it and still have some fun at WOT sounds like a good mix to me. I think primarily the ski would be used either by 1 person or pulling a tube; wakeboarding is up in the air at this point because no one in the family has done it before.

Thanks again.

C.D.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the VXR and it will yank whatever you attach to it out of the hole no problem. I've pulled two adults on a tube behind this ski and experienced no problems tracking through the water. I haven't pulled a skier yet so I can't comment how that would work "real world" but suffice it to say just about any boat will do a better job pulling wakeboarders and skiers than a PWC. But to your question about having enough torque...no worries there!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the VXR a couple of months ago and am extremely pleased with it. The only thing I need to buy now is some gloves so it won't throw me off! It's so powerful it will just about come out from under you, what a blast. I have had no problems with 2 or 3 passengers, and towing a tube is a riot, assuming the rider survives the fall :) Haven't pulled a wakeboarder or skier yet, maybe next season. Thank you again to everyone, to all those looking into a PWC the VXR is an excellent value and a hell of a lot of fun!

C.D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts