Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 96 waveblaster 2, 760. A couple questions. It does not want to idle even after being ran a long time. You have to keep your hand on the throttle to keep it from dying. But as long as you are hitting the gas it runs great. The guy I got it from says it needs new reed valves, does that sound right or would it be a carb issue? I pulled the plugs and they looked pretty old and were wet with oil, but that could be because I flooded it. however it was ran 10 minutes after that. If it is reed valves I need, are they hard to replace?

Also, any idea how much it might cost to get the carbs redone? I cant seem to find a "carb kit" for this thing....

·
Registered
12 Posts
First you could easily just turn up the idle speed screw. If it runs good after that then the carbs are likely fine. If not and if it's the Mikuni carbs like on my 96 Waveraiders the kits are $28 for each carb on ebay. For that vintage have some new fuel line handy as well. In my experience 95% of carb problems are because the diaphragms stiffen and it won't move fuel through, and you don't seem to have that problem. For $2 each I would take the plugs to your local auto parts store for a new set. Reed valves problem? To me that's like seeing a UFO. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just have never seen it. Now, because you jut bought it you've no idea who's been in there, so start by getting the idle speed, low and high mixture settings correct per the factory manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That is interesting about the reed valves. From what I had read, they tend to warp or bend over time and need replaced for proper function. But maybe not. I will have to find the idle screw and try that out, thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts