Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995(?) Yamaha Waveraider 700. Last year we had a few times when at full throttle and it would bog down and die. It'd start back up and away we'd go. This year we ran about 2 tanks of fuel through it and it ran great. Then it started bogging all the time. It will start and idle all day. When you hit the throttle it bogs down and dies. Sometimes you'll think its going to take fuel and go but again it dies. Start right back up and idles fine. I have replaced plugs, replaced fuel pump, replaced fuel pump and cleaned carburetors. I have checked compression on both cylinders and have 145-150lbs. The only thing I haven't done is replace fuel lines. I feel sure the fuel pump is working because I get fuel out of the return line to the tank when its running. Any ideas????? The boys are bummed out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When it starts to die, pull the choke out a bit and see if it takes off. I think you have a carb issue. Needs to be rebuilt. Replace lines, clean filter screens, and replace needle valve and seat. Set needles back to factory specs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried pulling the choke and that didn't help. I have had both carbs apart and everything cleaned. I haven't replaced the lines yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You said you replaced the fuel pump? Do you mean the check valves in the carburetor? I didn't think the Raider 701 had a fuel pump... I would replace the fuel filter first. If that doesnt work, try fattening up the mixture with the adjustment screws. If that doesn't work, remove and clean the carburetor fuel screens. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're getting fuel out of your return line then I'm guessing that your main filter is fine. However, if your carburetor fuel screens are clogged you will still get fuel from the return lines but you will starve the engine. To me this sounds like a mixture problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have cleaned the screens in both carbs when I had them apart. I may play with the mixture screws and see if that'll help. I tried to take note of where the mixture screws where set when I had everything apart and put them back like them were. I guess I should try to richen the mixture up some with the high side first. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's what i would do. Put the ski in the water but leave it attached to your trailer. turn both screws all the way in. Turn the high speed screw out one full turn. The screw closest to the engine is your primary low speed adjuster, the one closer to you will be the high speed adjuster. Start it up and let it idle for 5 minutes. If it wont idle, turn the low speed adjuster out until it idles. From idle, quickly got to full throttle. You are checking your throttle response at this point, don't worry if it doesn't fully rev. Turn the low speed adjuster in or out until you have a nice crisp throttle response. Once that is done it is time to adjust your high speed circuit. Hold the carburetor wide open and let the engine rev up. Now turn the high speed adjuster in or out until you achieve the maximum RPM. This usually works like a charm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good. I guess I should make sure the ski is tied to the trailer good. I'm also guessing I should do the same to both carbs at the same time. Right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I was thinking. I'll try it this weekend. This has been a good jet ski so far. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue with my 94 WaveRaider

RA700 cranks and idles fine. No wake zone fine. When getting to big water it bogs when gassing. I noticed once when i pulled the choke, it would pick up and run. Riding a motorcycle, it's said not to ride with choke pulled, so I pushed it back in. I noticed after playing with it a bit that the oil can light would come on when bogging and disappeared when running great. Couldn't get any consistency out of it today so I brought it back in. Any ideas? Changed plugs last week and it ran fine for the 15 mins i had it out. They were fouled with oil prior to replacing them. I bought it used, so I don't know the last time carbs were looked at. The oil can symbol is throwing me off. Plenty of oil.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
you should probably start a new thread since this is a 4 year old thread, but sounds like you need to clean the carbs, maybe a rebuild.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem

Is it possible that the spark plug wires and ignition coil are bad? When I pulled the wires off of the plugs there was black soot on the spark plug terminal. My wires run into the watertight control box and are fused into the coil as one unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts