Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I heard you were the best so I decided I would post my trouble in here and see if you can help me. Heres my deal-e-o. I just bought a Yamaha WaveRunner III 650 from a buddy of mine. It sat in his garrage for 3 years before he sold it to me. I went to autozone and bought a new battery and plugs for it. I threw the new plugs in and threw the new battery in it as well. I went to start it and it turned over but wouldn't start. I figured the plugs got fouled or the gas was bad. So we went to the local Kwik-E-Mart and bought some fuel and 2 stroke oil. Mixed the fuel and oil correctly and threw it in the tank. It was completely empty and took the whole tank to fill. I tried to fire it up and nothing. It would turn over but wouldn't start.

I then removed the plugs and put fuel in the plug holes thinking it would start because thats fuel going directly to the block. Well guess what. It did start. It fired right up and purred like a kitten. It was running fine up until the point where it burned through all the fuel in the plug holes.

So what do you think could be causing the fuel not to be getting to the engine?

Anything you would recommend that I haven't tried?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I went home on my lunch break to check out the fuel filter. It was so full of crap I can't even clean it. I'm going to have to replace it. Which scares me slightly. I'm thinking that could also be in my carb. Or it could be that my buddy just never changed the filter. I'll switch it out with a new filter and see if that lets fuel into the engine.

No replies? :dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel filter...

Hey Joe,

I just picked up a 94' Yamaha VXR. Would turn over but wouldnt start. I had to rebuild the carb. Might be the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhhhh. I figured as much. Is there a guide around? The manual on yamaha's site only goes back to 1998. I plan on changing the fuel filter tonight and if that doesn't work I'll rebuild the carb.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking its the fuel filter. I checked out the carb halfway and it didn't look gunked up at all. The needle is still moving. I seriously think its the filter. Can I switch that out with an autozone filter? Do they have one thats comparable to the one on the 650? Thanks guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah, That filter was sooo full of solidified crap that the fuel couldn't get to the carb. I just flushed that filter out and boom bang she fired right up. It may need a carb rebuild but for now i'm taking it out on the lake. :) Thanks guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eh. Its running pretty fine. I mean when it cuts off there is barely any fuel in the carb. Like not enough for me to worry about improper mixture from it sitting. If it starts acting funny I might do that.... but for now being as I only have till like the end of October to run it i'm not going to worry about it. I think it was just no fuel getting to the carb from the fuel filter. I flushed the lines and no gunk came out so i'm not tooooo worried about it. I just don't want to take the time. I'm pretty lazy. I mean its starting on que every time and the carb was already cleaned and rebuilt before they winterized it 4 years ago. So I don't think that its a problem. Thanks for all the help though. If you can give me a link to an idiots guide to rebuilding a seadoo carb i might take a crack at it in a week or so....

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any specific link? All i can find is how to rebuild the carb not take it apart.

But if it was redone before it was winterized shouldn't it be fine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would have a buddy nearby or a water tow service on-hand! When the junk in the tank lossens up it will end up in your carb or stop up the filter again!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I took it out on the lake yesterday and plan on it today. I flushed the fuel system and emptied out the tank. It wasn't full of gunk at all. It was surprisingly clean. I think that they drained the fuel and just left what was in the filter in there. I rebuilt the carb and it wasn't gunked up at all. It was clean as well. They said they put stabilizer in the fuel last time they filled it up so I think that saved it. All in all it was a good project for the money. Thanks again for your help guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey I just got it running and took it out into the water. I had it out yesterday but just to see if it floated. It idles realllllllllllllllly high. How can I change this? I mean I can pull the throttle and it does next to nothing as far as changing idle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I turned it all the way in and counted the turns out. No matter how many turns in or out it stays at the same speed. Theres too much gas getting into the carb. Either that or the fuel mixture is getting screwed up. Its not the throttle cable. I disconnected it and it still is idleing at full speed. Should I re-Rebuild the carb?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts