Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Yamaha waverunner and an unfortunate event--drain plugs were not replaced when put into water. Fortunately, the rider did not stop and made it safely back...but, it was left in the water and filled with water overnight. We took it out, drained it, changed the oil about 4 times until it was clear. Removed spark plugs and see oil on them. This must mean oil is on the pistons, right? Any more a novice can do, or are we in for a big bill? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
227 Posts
So it's a 4 stroke I assume and you have OIL on your plugs? Check your air filter, might be soaked or worse, full of oil. Check the intake for any oil. Make sure you didn't overfill the crankcase oil or bad things. Probably need to crank over while plugs are out to see if you have any water in there too. Replace your plugs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
water in oil system

a friend of mine just got his waverunner out to ride this season. he put the hose on to start it and let it run, after that he found water in the oil, any ideas on how to trouble shoot the problem or could it be a blown head gasktet?
thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
I know there is a oil cooler on the back of the engine on yamahas, could have a crack or blown gasket in there. You'd have to find a cooling diagram and test certain spots.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know on a yamaha if you turn the hose on before starting the engine it will flood with water. Perhaps thats what happened here?

a friend of mine just got his waverunner out to ride this season. he put the hose on to start it and let it run, after that he found water in the oil, any ideas on how to trouble shoot the problem or could it be a blown head gasktet?
thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts