Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha's Perfect Choice Sales Event

The Yamaha - Perfect Choice Sales Event

It looks like they extended the Sales Event. Earlier this week it said that it ended on May 31st, but now it's showing as ending on June 3rd. They give you the option to pick one of the following choices with the purchase of any new Waverunner:

1. Financing as low as 7.99% ..OR..
2. 3 Years Genuine Yamaha Coverage (Value up to $750) ..OR..
3. $450 Free Yamaha Genuine Parts & Accessories

Does Yamaha have better promotions than this before/during the summer or is this a pretty good one to cash in on? I'd like to get one within the next month or so to enjoy it. Our season is short here in Western New York.
As for the first option, I don't plan on financing it, and if I do, I can get a good rate on a personal loan.
I think the $450 is better than the warranty because everyone seems to say that Yamaha's are bulletproof. If something is going to go wrong, it should within the first year of riding it, so I think that the 1 year warranty that it comes with would be enough.
I actually prefer the $450 in free Yamaha Parts & Accessories. According to the salesman, I could pick out whatever Yamaha items I wanted and $450 of it would be free. That should be enough money to cover a life jacket, an anchor, dock ropes, a tow rope, 2 of those bumper/fenders, and a cover for the waverunner (unless that's included with the initial purchase?) in which case I could buy spare lifejackets.
I'm currently wondering if I should jump on this deal because I am wanting to buy my first PWC. I started off looking at the VX Cruiser (and a few others that I decided against), but now I'm more interested in the Yamaha FX Cruiser HO. I'm trying to convince myself to bite the bullet on the hefty (it's very hefty to me) price of $12,399 + 8% tax + trailer + the dealer's lame freight fee + registration + insurance + plates for the trailer + it just adds up, doesn't it? I have the feeling that I won't be finding a nice used one on Craigslist or in the local classifieds. Most of what's popped up over the last few months has been Sea Doos and pre-2002 skis, which I'm really not interested in. I've only seen 2 VX's, one guy was asking WAY too much and the other's was all beat up, scratched, scuffed, broken mirror, etc. So, it seems as though new is the better way to go, just pricier, for sure!

Your thoughts and opinions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about my ramble (I do that often) on my shopping wants, I'm mainly looking for feedback on the current Yamaha Sales Event.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
They have some type of promo event every year. It is not always the same as the one you show. The extended warranty is the way I'd go if you buy now. They offer their "YES" extended service plans on new skis, but it seems like they are usually more than $450 for 3 years.

Unfortunately, at this time of year great deals are hard to find. If you want the lowest price wait until winter and look for dealers clearing inventory of last years models. You can also find some deals at the boat shows. Then you can save 1-2K, off the prices you see now.

The 09 or 10 FX HO (with or w/o the Cruiser option) would be my #1 choice for a ski. Stable, fast, cruise control, good fuel economy...... There may be a few 09 FX HOs still out there for a good price, but they are hard to find.

If you want something now, you may just have to bite the bullet, but don't give up on the used market. Good deals pop up all the time. You just have to be ready. A guy near me (in NC) sold his 2007 FX HO Cruiser with only 15 hours plus a nice trailer for $7300 a couple of weeks ago. I looked at it and it was a great deal (had basically been sitting in a warehouse since he bought it), but I just couldn't afford a 2nd ski right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ernest, there's only 2 dealerships in my area (even though the Yamaha website states 3, the one now sells Kawasaki's) and the next closest is too far for me at nearly a 2 hour drive and 105miles south of here. Both of the local dealerships, or stealerships I prefer to call them, state that they don't keep any FX model in stock besides the SHO because most people will opt for the SHO since according to them "there's a minimal price difference between the two" Ha, yeah, maybe minimal to them.. I've seen all of the employees leave these two local shops driving brand new Mercedes and Lexus vehicles, etc. I should probably get into the ATV/Motorcycle/Watercraft selling business, it seems pretty lucrative, at least around here.
I also would still prefer the $450 in accessories because it'd be $450 less that I'd have to spend on the entire purchase. I never really opt for any extended warranty. I usually research and buy reliable items that shouldn't need them. Must just be me, everyone else I know goes for the warranties, whether they have to pay extra or not.
I also got the line at the closest stealership telling me that they don't make much of a profit off the sale of watercraft in comparison to the other items they sell there, so there was no room to bargain. I received this line when trying to bargain in a free or discounted trailer if I opt'd for the $450 in free Yamaha gear when buying a new Waverunner. The only "deal" I got from them was if I went for the extra 2 year warranty, they'd give me 15% off anything else I purchased, which is bad deal to me 'cause that savings would never add up anywhere close to the $450 mark (I'd have to spend $1,000 to save $150, ha.)
The 2nd dealership wouldn't knock anything off no matter what promotion I opt'd for, and gave me a MSRP+tax+freight+trailer figure and I immediately, kind of in frustration, said thanks for your time, and walked.
I'm thinking because they don't stock the HO's is the reason I'm not seeing any, and likely won't see any, pop up on the used market. As painful as it may be, after a night of sleep and thinking about it, at this point, since 1-2k in savings is the price point I'm looking for (I'd instantly buy one if they offered it to me at 1-2k lower than the prices I'm getting now!) that I might just wait until next years boat show *sigh* 1-2k is a lot of money for a small fish like me and I don't think I'd be as happy with a lower VX model either. Ah well... hopefully I'll run into a deal sooner than later!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you can see from my other post, I bought a 2009 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO.

..and to update this Sales Event post, the dealer told me that there would be another event starting right after this one. He said he'd try to find out if it would be better or not and let me know on Tuesday when I go to pay for the rest of my new purchase. Hopefully he can find out a day early, that'd help me out a lot, it was very nice of him to think and mention that to me. He was the nicest dealer/salesman that I've talked to! McMillan Marine in Rochester, NY. I'm loving the dealer already and I haven't yet been there. Great phone communication. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my new 2009 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO at River Valley Power and Sport in Rochester, MN. I gave $11,000 for a BRAND NEW, IN CRATE, NON-AUCTION machine and no set up or ANY other fee or gimmick. I got a free Yamaha cover included and took the 3 year warranty. I know what you say about something being wrong happening right away. On the other hand, if anything ever does need fixed in 3 years at least I have NO out of pocket expense because as the saying goes: YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY. I normally also don't buy extended warranties either but after being around friends' RXP and RXT Seadoo's, I wouldn't buy a Seadoo without one!!! The extra 2 year warranty is actual cost between $600 and $900 depending on manufacturer.

I also wasn't exactly impressed with little storage compared to Kawasaki Ultra 250X and 260X or LX. But I liked the water temp, compass, alarm, adjustable trim, etc. that came on the Yamaha that Kawasaki didn't offer. I also talked to them about program changes in the time I get up there to finish paying balance of ski and pick it up next week. I will be paying cash also. The one fuel line update is also being done as we speak. I do have the choice to switch seats with a non-cruiser model if I don't like the high back cruiser seat. This is my first PWC and I kind of wanted the Kawasaki but they increased their price over the same brand new 2008 250X by $950.00 compared to last fall. The Yamaha got cheaper than last fall. Still was quite a bit more than the Kawasaki but I liked the 1800cc supercharged vs. 1500cc supercharged. I have always owned the biggest and best Kawasaki sport bikes and hated to buy anything but Kawasaki but I will have to eat my words now:dunno:

I was also told most rental companies buy Yamaha, then Kawasaki, then others. Talked to a lot of dealers that sold both or more and came to the conclusion that either one is ok. If you are after bone stock speed then Kawasaki. If you are after ride in deep waves then Kawasaki. If you want little creature comfort gadgets then Yamaha. If you want reliability then Yamaha. If you want fuel economy then Yamaha. If you want to use low octane fuel then Yamaha. I could go on forever as I took over 9 months to make up my mind and still it is a tossup vs. Kawasaki but I thought I would give Yamaha a shot since it seemed like they held their resale value the most. I found a lot of newer Kawasaki supercharged jet skis out there used but VERY FEW Yamaha and they wanted more for them used than I bought this one New. I bought a used 2003 single place Shorelander trailer like new with large tires, led lights, and tongue jack for $300.00. Figured that would be better than $800.00 new especially if I like it so much that I want a 2nd one for the girlfriend and then need to get rid of trailer for a 2 place trailer.

Sorry for being so long on explanations but that is why I did it. Everyone has different needs and wants and hopefully you have what you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
casemagnum, that sounds like a great deal for a SHO! My HO was only $120 less at McMillan Marine in Rochester... but a Rochester in NY! I wanted the HO over the SHO though, mainly for fuel economy reasons, beyond that I believe that they are exactly the same in every other spec, well besides power and speed, of course!
I do realize that the extra 2 year warranty is worth far more than the $450 in accessories, however, by getting the 2 year warranty, it will essentially cost me around $450 MORE because I'd still have to buy all the accessories for my Waverunner since this is my first PWC and I don't even have a life jacket! The dealer did say they would throw in a cover and a coast guard package if I opt'd for the 3 year warranty because it saves them money, but I 'd still have to buy some small stuff, like a life jacket, 2 spare basic jackets, rope, etc. I might actually take him up on that offer, then I almost get the best of both Worlds. Hmmm, I'll wait and see though if he can find out a day early what the new promotion will be, maybe it'll be better and I can just pay on Wed. and nab the new promo instead.
I also went with a Yamaha for the same reasons you listed. The storage on a Kawa is wayyy better, but the creature comforts on the Yamaha rock and the storage room is enough for anything I'd need. I do dislike the lack of storage on the VX models which have over 10 gallons less of space! I'd prefer 40-50 gallons of space, but I suppose I really don't NEED it, it'd just be handy is all! I'll pack light for any trips! Yamaha = Better reliability (#1!), fuel economy (#1), the ease of 87 octane fuel, and stronger resale is great if for some reason I don't use it much, etc.
That's a great deal on a trailer! I was looking for a good deal on craigslist, but the dealer offered me a 1 year old one that was traded in with a waverunner that only had 15hours on it, so it was barely used and offered that trailer to me for $550 vs a new one which would cost $699, so I told him I'd take it. Tues. I go to pay and pick it up unless the new promo ends up better and he finds out about what it's all about, then it'll be Wed.!
Hope you'll enjoy your new SHO as much as I know I'll enjoy my HO! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I picked up my ski yesterday June 2, 2010. Absolutely love it. I even got a little better deal yet. I added 2 more years warranty yet for a total of 5 years no deductable, complete warranty for another $699.00 for a total of $11,699.00. It is a brand new out of crate 2009 FX Cruiser SHO. I also kept my complete cruiser seat and got the front 2/3 seat off of a FX SHO for the low down front seat for free. That front 2/3 off of a FX SHO was about $980.00 list and $800.00 approximate net!! I got the red one. Absolutely beautiful in person and better than in pictures!! Only thing is a got a gray cover with it instead of red one. They didn't have red ones in stock so I guess as bad as I wanted it, I can live with a gray one. Maybe beat them up too much on price:dunno:

Only downfall is I won't be able to get it out on the water for about 10 days. Too much work at home before I can get away with a weekend off:thumbsdown:

I would post some pics but can only get one as avatar and had one other one done. Will try to figure out how to post more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts