Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member here and I just bought a ZXI 1100 for $600. Pretty much a steal considering it needs some work. Everything works as far as gauges, trim, etc. The motor has a Broken rod in then #3 cylinder. I was looking for some advice to see how much this is going to cost me and is this something I could do myself? Was this a good deal?

Here are a few pics one of the motor problems. Compression of the other cylinders is unknown due to it not starting. This looks like a simple fix or is it? What would you recommend.

-Thanks

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I was planning on buying that exact ski until the Ultra 150 came out and I ended up buying it instead. For $600.00, you got a great deal. As long as the rod did not go through the engine block, you can rebuild it. Look at DennisKirk.com - Motorcycle, Harley-Davidson, ATV, Dirt Bike, Snowmobile, PWC / Watercraft Parts, Apparel, and Accessories for parts or a few other places. Google search used pwc parts and it will also give you some links to where you can get parts or a complete motor of you need one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, It is not through the block, just the rod is snapped in two. I was looking at SBT and was considering the top end rebuild kit and a new crank shaft and I should be good to go for around $1100. Would you tend to agree? It is more then I need but better safe then sorry ya know. I will keep looking and check out your suggestions and see if I can find parts cheaper. I don't know much about PWC but have been doing my research. I have never worked on one of these before but I am good with small engines and this doesn't look to overly complicated. This is something that is easy fix with the new parts right?

-Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
It is an easy fix. Make sure the are no cracks or holes in the crank cases and barrels, particularly the exhaust port. New crank, crank seals and top end kit. Obviously will need to be re-bored or re-sleeved. If you go oversize, do all three pistons to keep the engine balanced. Remember if you go .5 O/S you will need to richen the carbs. The Keihen carbs will need to be fully cleaned and all the obvious stuff when re-building an engine. I would recommend checking the short shaft bearing housing seals whilst you have the engine out as they are a known problem in those skis. Have fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, pretty much everything you listed is going to be replaced and is part of the kit. I looked at that one place listed above but it looked real pricey on some items. So this is what I went with...

Top-End Kit
Which comes with the 3 new pistons, cylinders, sleeves, gaskets, etc.

Crankshaft
New Crackshaft with rods, welded and trued to 1 mm

Rebuild Kit for Keihin CDK-II Carburetor X3

I think that should about cover me for now to get me started if I did my homework right. It all looks like a simple bolt on installation and I am done. There are other things I am going to do like the jet pump rebuild kit and new impeller, but that will probably be during the winter. Right now just want to get it on the water...LoL but what to do it right and smart. I think I am going the best route hopefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts