Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two jet pumps on my bench. One I build with a solas impeller that works great, the other is a take off from a parts ski I just got. Comparing the two I noticed there's quite a bit of up and down play in the solas impeller compared with the factory impeller on the other jet pump.

Is this normal? I'm wondering if it might be causing some of my vibration issues I've been experiencing.

Edit - to clarify if it's not clear that play is entirely in the splines, the prop shaft and bearings are excellent (one season on them)

·
Super Moderator
5,057 Posts
You need to look closely. That play is NOT the driveshaft, it is the pump bearings, which is evident from the impeller moving. The pump needs to be rebuilt before you use it.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the reply,

The play is 100% not in the bearings. Here's a video I just took that more closely shows there is zero impeller movement. The play is entirely in the splines of the driveshaft.

Note: Water seal is removed in this video for detail, but it can be seen in the original video in my OP.

·
Super Moderator
5,057 Posts
Well I stand corrected. Still a little play in the pump shaft. Eye are playing tricks on me with the first video. I'm not sure I would worry to much about it unless there is rotational play. It could be the pump was out of alignment to the driveshaft bearing at one time and wore the splines or just machined a little loose. Could even be the impeller. How do the splines look ? Have you tried the other pump on that shaft ? You are liberally coating the splines with marine grease on final installation ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts