GP1200R Low Power Troubleshooting Help
Hello, I could use some help in troubleshooting. I've read a lot of posts here and elsewhere and worked on it but want to get a bit more specific help please!
2000 Yamaha GP1200R
Cat removed (D plate+chip)
158 hours total (I bought it at about 80)
* Ran great last year
* fresh gas on top of about 1/4 tank or less from last year
* Low power but not all the time, idles but only reaches 35 ish, max rpm probably 4500-5000 ish I forget exactly
* It did stall once but idles most of the time
* Had it out twice this year, first time it ran fine for 15 minutes or so then this started to happen
* Second time out (after some troubleshooting) it ran fine for 2-3 minutes then started to happen
** This seems to be a key fact to me and different from most posts like this, the fact that it isn't consistent
What I've done so far:
* Replace plugs, and after the short second run, all 3 looked pretty normal
* Checked compression: ~120 PSI on all 3 so good
* Replaced fuel filter
* Checked power valves, they are intact, had some sludge but intact
* Verified power valves cycle after shut off
* Tried using "reserve" on fuel switch (read somewhere somebody had issues with fuel line and that helped narrow it down)
* Checked for junk near impeller
Next steps? Carbs seem to be likely it but was hoping for some other tips to try first or at least something to do to better narrow it down before I yank the carbs off.
Anybody know a place or person in central Ohio to work on it?